cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: My laptop doesn't show up in my connected devices list, even though it's syncing files

My laptop doesn't show up in my connected devices list, even though it's syncing files

annml
Explorer | Level 4

Having trouble with dropbox not seeing a device. As in, if you go to settings and then click Security - you scroll down and it shows your device list and the devices that have been removed from list. Details:

-- I can have 3 active devices, presently shows only 2 listed

-- Have ended all dropbox tasks multiple times, have restarted laptop

-- Have quit dropbox in taskbar tray

-- Have reinstalled dropbox multiple times

-- I know dropbox is working with this particular laptop bc I've created "test" documents and saved them on laptop local dropbox file explorer - which then sync up to online files immediately

Because dropbox isn't seeing this laptop, I can't use backups. When I try to created a backup, it shows my old PC as the only option for the backup -- I can't choose my laptop bc it doesn't see it.

Any ideas?

35 Replies 35

annml
Explorer | Level 4
I think we figured it out!!

Thank you so much Hannah, Megan, and Nancy! Honestly I’m a little shocked by all the help that I received — it’s so rare these days. I have a free account and don’t need extra storage right now but I’m upgrading to a paid account anyway because DropBox deserves my business!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks so much for your kind words, @annml! We’re glad we were able to help and that everything seems to be working now. 

You can always give us a nudge, if you need something else.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rxiang
Explorer | Level 4

I've been having so much trouble with Dropbox. Dropbox used to sync my whole computer – I could see the little icons on the files in my Finder, not just files in my local Dropbox folder on Finder. It was super convenient to manage files on my computer and I loved how I could set things to "online-only" to save device storage. One day though, all the icons had disappeared, my computer suddenly filled up (because I guess they were no longer set as online only and all started taking up storage on my device), and I learned a new "Backup" feature had been introduced. 

I've tried everything – I've chatted with a few agents who said if I backed up my whole computer I'd be able to get those icons back and things would be back to the way they used to be. I did back up my whole computer to Dropbox (in the app dropdown it says 'Everything is up to date' / under Backups there's a green "Done"). When I click "View backed up files" though, I see my Mac marked with "Unlinked" under its status. The chat agent asked me to send an email because I need extra help, but no one has replied for 15 days and somehow my ticket was marked as closed.

This problem is making everything a headache – I can barely use apps on my computer because of all the storage suddenly being used up. I can't seem to get any personalized support from Dropbox. This is my last resort – please help.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @rxiang, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you try contacting the support team again for them to investigate this matter in more detail on their end?

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system

Jay
dropbox.com/support

rxiang
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Jay! Here's the ticket number: #23638400

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the ticket number, @rxiang! I was able to track it down in our system, and I just left an internal note for our team to see and reach back to you.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

yasminaz
Explorer | Level 3
Hi,

I am having a very similar issue. One of my three devices is linked to Dropbox, however, it does not show up on my other devices (or even online), so I cannot access my files remotely. On Dropbox online it clearly shows that I have 3 linked devices, so I’m at a loss to understand why or how this has happened. I have no idea how to fix this and it’s causing me a lot of pain. Please help!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @yasminaz, I hope you're doing well!

When you say it doesn't show up on your other devices, are you referring to the Backup feature? Would you mind clarifying? 

If you try to add a file using the desktop app, and specifically adding the file to your Dropbox folder for that specific device: are you able to locate the changes and additions when you visit your account online? 

If you check your account's security page here, do you see the device? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

yasminaz
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan, 

When I go to my "Security" page, I can see 3 linked devices: 1) work computer, 2) home computer, 3) laptop. However, when I go to my dropbox folder, only two devices are saved there: 1) work computer and 2) laptop. This means that I cannot access my files on my home computer when I am at work. 

Thanks for your prompt reply,
Yasmin

yasminaz
Explorer | Level 3

This is a major problem - if this happened to my work computer, if it mysteriously disappeared from dropbox, I would be in big big trouble! Many of my files are online only, so I am deeply concerned to see an entire device disappear from dropbox. 

Need more support?