cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Endless loop when trying to use & connect both my personal & work account.

Endless loop when trying to use & connect both my personal & work account.

BubbleIsTheWorst
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Here's the scenario. Mac OS Ventura, I have a Work Dropbox account & a Personal one. I connect these online while signed into my personal account easily enough. Go through the websites selective sync process for my personal account which changes the Personal Dropbox folder to the dropbox icon in Finder & in the dropdown menu of the app shows it at the top & as "signed in". Syncing begins, I have access to the right-click menu to assign files as "online only" or "available offline" in Finder, all good so far. I check with dropbox information... here is their quote: "You must be logged into both linked Dropbox accounts on the web session or the app you're using to switch between your accounts." So I move on to signing in to my work account which appears in the dropdown of the app as signed out. Heres where the issues begin... When I go to the app to switch accounts, it takes me back to the online process to selectively sync, however if I follow that through to completion my work account is signed in & my Personal account is now signed out. If I try to sign in to my Personal account in the Preferences / Account tab of the app it takes me back to the online selective sync cycle I've already completed for that account & if I follow that through to completion a second time I am then signed out of my Work account. The same thing happens if I follow Dropboxes own instructions & try to do it on the website. Endless loop ensues.

It absolutely baffles me the software engineers get sign off on these products & are able to bring them to market when they are so woefully poorly built. God knows how much my work are paying for this next to useless software... I look forward to a moderator or staff member explaining to me how despite following all instructions this is somehow my fault.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @BubbleIsTheWorst, thanks for the heads up! 

Would you mind trying out these steps:

-Quit the Dropbox application. ( Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar, click your avatar (profile picture or initials), and click Quit.)
-Open Terminal.
-Run the command: rm -rf ~/.dropbox
-Quit Terminal.
-Restart Dropbox and attempt to sign in again.

Let me know how this turns out!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @BubbleIsTheWorst, let's jump right into this! 

You described what happens when you use our desktop app, and mentioned you also have an issue when using our website, in order to switch between accounts.

However, selective sync isn't a feature that can be found online. Would you like to let me know what happens when you use our website? 

In order to switch between your personal and Business account, you'd need to link them first, using these steps. Have you tried that? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

BubbleIsTheWorst
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, they are connected... I state that in the second sentence of my post "I connect these online while signed into my personal account easily enough."

BubbleIsTheWorst
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Just so you know. I've tried have the 2 connected accounts logged in as is suggested in your own documentation with this line: " You must be logged into both linked Dropbox accounts on the web session or the app you're using to switch between your accounts." in every way possible. But it is not working for me at all. The only way I can switch between accounts in the desktop app is by logging out via the preferences / account tab which quits the app, going to the site & logging in to the other account there which then begins the folder selection process over again.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your fast reply @BubbleIsTheWorst 

In this case, would you like to share some additional info about the website, and what kind of loop you're facing when trying to switch between accounts there? 

As for our desktop app: can you clarify the version you use on your end? 

You should be able to locate it, by hovering your mouse over the little Dropbox icon, next to your WiFi on your menu bar. If you have any screenshots, feel free to share them with us, in order to have a clear visual too. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

BubbleIsTheWorst
Explorer | Level 4

I am using Dropbox 197.4.7629

The loop I am experiencing can best be described with the attached diagram of screenshots.
Dropbox-Sign-in-loop.jpg

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @BubbleIsTheWorst, thanks for the heads up! 

Would you mind trying out these steps:

-Quit the Dropbox application. ( Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar, click your avatar (profile picture or initials), and click Quit.)
-Open Terminal.
-Run the command: rm -rf ~/.dropbox
-Quit Terminal.
-Restart Dropbox and attempt to sign in again.

Let me know how this turns out!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

BubbleIsTheWorst
Explorer | Level 4

YES!!!! This solved it. OMFG, thanks!

So I assume that Terminal command deleted some caching somewhere?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Amazing news @BubbleIsTheWorst!

Glad that everything is now back on track. Yes, it most likely had to do with some app permissions. 

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks! ðŸ˜Ž

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    BubbleIsTheWorst Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?