cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registered Incorrect Email and now can't login

Registered Incorrect Email and now can't login

onebadshah
Explorer | Level 3

Hi All

I accidently created a dropbox account with paid subscription using the wrong email (i.e. happens to be someone else's email address), and I tried logging in but cannot recall the password since it's been a very long time. I cannot use the forgot password option because the registered email belongs to someone else. It's embarrassing and I am trying to access my files. I tried to report the issue using the online form, but no one from dropbox has responded to me. My credit card is still being charged for something I cannot access. Is there someone that assist me with this please.

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

@onebadshah wrote:

I cannot use the forgot password option because the registered email belongs to someone else.

If you don't already have an active device linked to the account, it's usually not possible to gain access to a Dropbox account without access to the email address associated with it

You can try contacting Support, but they will likely only help in preventing future charges. They can't give you access to the account without access to the email. Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @onebadshah, the truth is that if you don't have access to either the email or the password, there's not much we can do, really.

Do you have any devices connected to that account maybe?

Otherwise, we can help you cancel the subscription, if you want. 

If you've already reached out to our support through the form and have a ticket number, please give it to us, so we can look it up in our system.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

onebadshah
Explorer | Level 3

I signed up for a premium dropbox account using my email address some time ago, but left out one character in the email and I can't login now because I forgot the password and since the email address I registered with is incorrect (not mine technically), I cannot access that email for password recovery. However it is definitely an account I created because the upload contents are mine and the credit card on file with auto payment is mine too. Please help! Thanks.

onebadshah
Explorer | Level 3

Hi I do have the password, but don't have access to the email address. Please help!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @onebadshah , the method to contact the support team is as @Rich said, by opening an incognito/private browsing window, while not signed into your account, and accessing this link.

From there you should be able to contact support. Make sure to enter an email to which you can receive and send emails from.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    onebadshah Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?