cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I add end to end encryption on my files?

How do I add end to end encryption on my files?

DanniViolet
Explorer | Level 3

Hello!

I am completely new to Dropbox. After downloading thousands of photos, I discovered that Dropbox doesn't have end to end encryption which is disappointing. I have been told to add my own encryption. Would someone know how I do that please? It doesn't help that technology is not my strong point. Thank you in advance. 

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @DanniViolet, thanks for messaging the Community!

End-to-end encryption is generally done by installing a third party program, which encrypts the files on your computer. 

You then add the file to your Dropbox account, and in order to decrypt the file at a later date (or another device), you'll generally need to use the same program to do so.

I'll leave this thread open for suggestions from other users.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DanniViolet
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you so much Jay. Would you be able to recommend a third party program?

DanniViolet
Explorer | Level 3

Hi!

I am completely new to Dropbox. After downloading thousands of photos, I discovered that Dropbox doesn't have end to end encryption. Would anyone know how I add Boxcryptor to my Dropbox account please? Thank you in advance. 

Rich
Super User II

@DanniViolet wrote:

Would anyone know how I add Boxcryptor to my Dropbox account please?

Dropbox bought Boxcryptor and they're in the middle of integrating it into their Business products, due for early release sometime in Q4 with a more public release sometime in Q1 2024. It's not currently possible to use it with a personal account, and Boxcryptor stopped allowing new account registrations last November.

DanniViolet
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Rich,

Thank you very much for explaining. I have a personal account, would you know how else I can add end to end encryption to my Dropbox account? I appreciate your help. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

We wouldn't be able to provide any specific recommendations. However, if you search for file encryption apps in your search engine, you should find a list of potential apps to use.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

KindaSorta
Explorer | Level 4
I'm extremely disappointed by Dropbox's handling of the Boxcryptor acquisition. I've been a Dropbox user since 2009 and a paying subscriber since 2014. I've used Boxcryptor for years to secure all of my critical files in Dropbox, and then suddenly I was forced to decrypt all my files before BC went offline last fall. That was a major hassle and it caused me to fall behind on work projects to make the transition.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to find an on-the-fly encryption tool like Boxcryptor for PC, so I begrudgingly moved to Cryptomator temporarily, hoping that Dropbox would be true to its word by bringing BC encryption technology to Dropbox by 1Q24. 

Well, today marks the end of 1Q24 and it looks like Dropbox Droppedtheball.

CM is a fine tool, but it's riskier than BC: I have to maintain multiple vaults instead of a single login like BC offered. I have lots of encrypted data, so it requires lots of vaults. I now have to be careful to close out of vaults when I'm done and not shut down (or lose power) in the middle of a session without closing out, as opposed to BC which was seamless and virtually invisible once logged in. What's more, I've had syncing issues with CM.

So I'm not a happy camper. Dropbox demonstrated lousy customer care by negotiating an acquisition so carelessly that thousands (or hundreds of thousands?) of its customers have had to deal with an as-yet open-ended gap in available zero-knowledge encryption options. It's a real head-scratcher why DB didn't arrange for Boxcryptor to continue to support theirs subscribers for a few more months until this highly-touted technology transfer was complete.

I hope Dropbox steps up and offers zero-knowledge encryption to all of its paying customers soon.

apfund
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi there, 

I wanted to share a quick update with you: 

We have launched our end-to-end encryption last month. More details can be found here and here
High level overview: 
You can now add end-to-end encryption to team folders. The functionality is available for our Advanced, Business Plus and Enterprise customers at no additional costs. 

If there are any questions, please let me know!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

apfund Dropbox Product Manager
    KindaSorta Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    DanniViolet Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?