cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox attachment in gmail

Dropbox attachment in gmail

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I try to add an attachment from dropbox to a mail in gmail, I receive a message in gmail "can not upload the file". This error occurs only on one smartphone with android 12. If I do the same , with the same dropbox and google account, on an other android phone (android 11 )or an android tablet, there is no problem. Both phones have the same app version of gmail

251 Replies 251

Metro Condo
Helpful | Level 6
Hi, just to clarify that there is an workaround. Here's that & Dropbox position together...
Here are some exchanges. To summarize: (1) Solution 3 does work just fine. You can attach a Dropbox file to a Gmail. You have to get used to it. (2) Dropbox Community Mgr started a month ago that Dropbox can't fix to the old way because of some change to the storage access framework standard.
===========
Re: Dropbox attachment in gmail
erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6
July
When I try to add an attachment from dropbox to a mail in gmail, I receive a message in gmail "can not upload the file". This error occurs with android
===========
DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
a month ago
SOLUTION: You start with the paper clip, But instead of choosing a folder from Dropbox you choose the hamburger at the top left, THEN choose Dropbox NOT by clicking on Dropbox but by clicking on the arrow or icon just to the right. This opens Dropbox and let you navigate and choose a file with checkboxes.
================
DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
a month ago
Yes there are actually 3 workarounds.
One is to start from Dropbox and share it to Gmail. That's bass-akwards because most of us start our correspondence from Gmail and then want to attach a file as we have done with Dropbox and Gmail on our phones for years. So that one doesn't even count.
Another option is of course to download your file from Dropbox to your phone and then choose it through Gmail from your phone. This works but clutters up your phone with those downloaded files and Is even more cumbersome.
The third and preferred solution is to use the paper clip from Gmail but instead of choosing a directory or file from within Dropbox immediately by clicking on Dropbox, you go to the hamburger in the top left corner and THEN choose the arrow to the right of your Dropbox from which you can then navigate through Dropbox and select file or files by checking the boxes on the right and then the check mark at the top. Yes this works and it's less cumbersome than the other two, but it's still way more cumbersome than the original elegant solution.
DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
a month ago
The hamburger is just the three horizontal parallel lines in the top left that typically indicate there are menu items when clicked. After clicking the paper clip in the upper right of your Gmail app, then instead of choosing Dropbox choose the hamburger and from within the hamburger don't click Dropbox but instead the arrow to the right of Dropbox. This opens Dropbox and lets you navigate and choose files by clicking the boxes to the right of the file names. All very cumbersome and all very unnecessary and all very stupid compared to the original elegant solution. It does work, but come on Dropbox!!!
DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
a month ago
If Dropbox is not listed along with Google Drive and other options for sharing, then the linkage between the Gmail app and the Dropbox app has not been established. You need to do this within the Gmail app.

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
a month ago
Exactly! The arrow workaround is fine and better than the other options but not better than the original more elegant solution!
===============
DROPBOX ANSWER. DO NOT CONSIDER IT A BUG.
BenDBX
Community ManagerBenDBX
Community Manager
a month ago
Hi Everybody,
I've spoken with our Engineering team about this, who have confirmed that the 'Attach from Dropbox' option no longer being available is the result of an update to the Android OS and Gmail app, specifically Storage Access Framework. This means that the option to Attach from Dropbox will no longer be available.
As others have stated, to attach files, you will need to select Attach File in Gmail, open the hamburger menu on the left, select Dropbox, then choose the files to be uploaded.
Regards,
Ben

grenadahouse
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for this solution. I just did the Option 2 way by downloading to my phone. I came here after and saw the option 3, which I tested and it works, so thanks!

Metro Condo
Helpful | Level 6
grenadahouse,
Glad to hear it!

tdaremodelingla
New member | Level 2

Is there any way to update the option from dropbox ? i can attached files from a deferent android running v 12

Metro Condo
Helpful | Level 6
I don't think it's an option Dropbox will update. It's just slightly different steps to attach to a file. Now that I'm used to it, I actually like the interface better than the old way.

As others have stated, to attach files, you will need to select Attach File in Gmail, open the hamburger menu on the left, select Dropbox, then choose the files to be uploaded by checking the box next to each file you'd like to attach to your email.

Metro Condo
Helpful | Level 6
Actually, this is a better description:
(1) Click the paper clip in the upper right of your Gmail app
(2) Choose the hamburger on the top left to get the drop-down menu.
(3) Then instead of clicking on the word "Dropbox", click on the arrow just to the right of "Dropbox". This opens Dropbox and lets you navigate to the folder you want.
(4) Choose files by clicking the boxes to the right of the file names.
(5) And then click on on the checkmark at the top to complete.

Notoriousstyle
Explorer | Level 4
This solution is not working for me, still get the empty file message on pixel 6...

My question is: why is it not possible to attach files from Dropbox app while it is still possible to attach from any other cloud app?

This is a game changer for me and I will have to move my business elsewhere unfortunately.

Metro Condo
Helpful | Level 6
Hi! Are you sure you are clocking on the arrow in the little box next to Dropbox?

DAVEN L.
Helpful | Level 7
Hi, I tried the said method , still can't attached files using phone

ESauvage
New member | Level 2
Wow, not quite the answer we are looking for.
Now January 8 and still the same problem with my phone.

Can we get a real answer?
Need more support?