cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox attachment in gmail

Dropbox attachment in gmail

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I try to add an attachment from dropbox to a mail in gmail, I receive a message in gmail "can not upload the file". This error occurs only on one smartphone with android 12. If I do the same , with the same dropbox and google account, on an other android phone (android 11 )or an android tablet, there is no problem. Both phones have the same app version of gmail

251 Replies 251

LukeF
Helpful | Level 6
Attaching from the Hamburger icon is the way that it has been for a very long time.

That way no longer works in the Gmail App for Android users on Pixel phones.

fuserr
Explorer | Level 4
Why has this still not been solved? I swear I give you time until end of January and if it's not done I will move my business elsewhere. So many emails that I sent out without attachments because of this bug. This is so unprofessional from your side, I am very disappointed.

Metro Condo
Helpful | Level 6
Dear fuserr
This is not considered a bug at this point. You have to learn a different way to attach, but it works fine and is easy once you get used to it. Solution is given in earlier threads.
"you will need to select Attach File in Gmail, open the hamburger menu on the left, select Dropbox, then choose the files to be uploaded. "
Hope that helps.

LukeF
Helpful | Level 6

Metro Condo,

This is the way that attachments in the Gmail App work already. 

The point is that this works for all other files / images / anything EXCEPT with Dropbox where it does NOT work.

It remains IMPOSSIBLE to attach a Dropbox file to a Reply email in the Gmail App using Android (might be limited to Pixels) whereas you can do this using iOS without a problem.
- you can however use OneDrive or Box or any of the other Cloud File Storage solutions, just not Dropbox.

It is 100% a bug

Crystaldrops
Helpful | Level 5

LukeF, it is absolutely a bug. You are right. Have you figured out the workaround until they fix it? You have to download the file from the Dropbox app to your phone storage and then attach the file in Gmail from phone storage. It is a pain. And ridiculous. But at least it works for now.

Metro Condo
Helpful | Level 6
Sorry, here's the best description of how to attach from driving. It works. I'm in your same situation.
"Unfortunately you can't attach files here or I would share the ones I have marked up illustrating the steps. But the key has been stated here several times. You start with the paper clip, But instead of choosing a folder from Dropbox you choose the hamburger at the top left, THEN choose Dropbox NOT by clicking on Dropbox but by clicking on the arrow or icon just to the right. This opens Dropbox and let you navigate and choose a file with checkboxes. It's stupid and cumbersome but a lot better than downloading the files to your phone and cluttering up your storage. And a lot better than starting from Dropbox and sharing it from there to your Gmail which you may already have started to compose. This whole change was so unnecessary and it was so intuitive before."

Metro Condo
Helpful | Level 6
Sorry driving should have said DrVjMj

LukeF
Helpful | Level 6

That still means it is a Bug.
No other App requires you to take up valuable storage space for attaching files from a CLOUD Storage " solution ". 

This is giving Dropbox too much room to dodge the issue and not fix this... it worked before, other Apps can do it, and iOS users can also do it... they owe us Android Subscribers to fix this and I am not about to give them an easy ride just because there is a workaround - especially when that workaround defeats the very object purpose of the product, which is to store & access your files in the Cloud.

100% a bug and needs to be fixed

xfechx
Explorer | Level 4
When is this going to be fixed?
We CANNOT attach files to gmail android app when choosing dropbox file from the android file selection prompt. This bug has been present already for a while. Cannot believe a paid service like Dropbox cannot look into this and fix it.

Grahamwsu
Explorer | Level 4
Thank you, this works but why would they take a process that worked so well and make it so horrible.
Need more support?