cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clicking files in embedded Dropbox leads to registration screen instead of direct download

Clicking files in embedded Dropbox leads to registration screen instead of direct download

jpimbema
Explorer | Level 4

We have embedded Dropbox onto our website in an iframe: [Removed as per Community Guidelines]
We produce a Dropbox read only share link to include in the embed code.

For some folders we get a share link containing /scl/fo/ which leads to a registration splash screen whenever a website visitor clicks a file in the embedder. However we want to start a download instead of a registration...

The strange thing is that other folders for which we produce a read only share link contain /sh/ . When you click on a file in the embedder with this link in the code, the download starts without a registration splash screen.

Now, I've read that a link containing /scl/fo/ is an edit link. Why do some folders produce a link containing /scl/fo/ and others /sh/ while we explicitly ask for a read only share link?

We run a Dropbox Advanced plan.

24 Replies 24

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @jpimbema, thanks for messaging the Community!

Just for clarification, are you using any of the Dropbox API when embedding Dropbox onto your site?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@jpimbema wrote:

Now, I've read that a link containing /scl/fo/ is an edit link. Why do some folders produce a link containing /scl/fo/ and others /sh/ while we explicitly ask for a read only share link?

Hi @jpimbema,

There are 2 folder link formats (one is being in depreciation /sh/ and other - the successor /scl/fo/). By now the two formats are in use (the old one is not dropped automatically, but all new links are in new format). That doesn't mean the particular link is "can edit" type, but could be. That's something you have control on and can check.

In folder share settings is a dropdown menu where you can select from "can view" or "can edit" as well as see what's selected now (the same is for file share settings as well). You can change your default settings from your account sharing settings. See on section "What people can do" and change to appropriate if needed. 😉 The last is valid for both on site created link and API created links. While using API, in the API itself is no control what type of link to be produced - not yet at least. For API you may control your link types only by using default setting in your account (i.e. by hand). Let's hope this will change in future.

Hope this helps.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@jpimbema, Is that, you posted, used only for Dropbox Embedder or for other things too (like Dropbox Chooser)?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks, I've moved this thread to the API forum for our colleague to provide more specialized assistance.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Jay, It's still not clear if particular issue is API related!!! That's why asked how it's used! That may be nothing API related at all.

jpimbema
Explorer | Level 4

Only for the embedder.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@jpimbema wrote:

Only for the embedder.

Thanks @jpimbema.

@Jay, your mistake - nothing API related!

As I said, check the actual link you have created - don't suppose it. In your account, on right of the folder, you want to show, is a share icon (it displays only when cursor hovered). Push it and see what's on the dropdown menu there (what's selected actually).

jpimbema
Explorer | Level 4

@Здравко when I click the icon it shows Iedereen met deze link: kan weergeven translated: Anyone with this link: can view

That's the actual link I copy into the embed code.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?