cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"save as" in Dropbox

"save as" in Dropbox

DebraV
Explorer | Level 4

Hi

I am setting up a database that will be stored in Dropbox.  I have created it in excel for the web.

One of the things the users will do is create a new doc and save that to a specific folder. I have created a doc, let's call it "datasheet".  The user needs to use the doc and then add data to the datasheet and save it under a different name.

Trying to make it as simple as possible but it is so easy for them to save it and it overrides the original file.

I have a link in the excel database that opens the doc. I have instructions for them to "open with" word for the web but I can't see where to "save as" the doc to a new name. 

What is the simplest way for someone to open the original, enter the data and then save that file with a different name leaving the original as is?

Any suggestions?

1 Reply 1

Mark
Super User II

The only way is training, I'm afraid. The other thing to remember here is that Dropbox automatically saves all changes to the file, so unless you File -> Save as immediately, it will overwrite something. 

However, what I would say is that the risk of data loss here is massive. Dropbox simply isnt designed, or intended, to host database system which are shared. You really need to look in to a proper data handling system to do this - Dropbox is probably not the right solution.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?