cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't access my backup from other devices after a recent update

I can't access my backup from other devices after a recent update

Columbusboo1
Helpful | Level 5

I recently updated to the new Dropbox Backup on my main computer and, from the reading that I have done, realized that the new update no longer allows you to view or access files in backup from the Dropbox folder on other devices. I do work across a computer and two laptops and need to be able to access and edit my files from any device on any other device and have everything sync in real-time. Before the update, this worked flawlessly as I could access and edit files in the documents folder of one computer from another. But it seems that this function has been removed. Is it possible for me to roll back the update and restore the old functionality. If not, what can I do to have all of my files sync and be accessible across devices. I use Dropbox specifically for this functionality and with this change, Dropbox has become effectively useless to me.

5 Replies 5

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello @Columbusboo1,

Yes, with the new Dropbox Backup that is no longer possible, as confirmed by Jay from Dropbox on this forum post:

In general, it should no longer be possible to view the backups of other machines on your current device, and you can only see them from the site

If you're still able to view these backups, then in the near future, those will also be removed from Explorer.

One way to restore this functionality would be to use third-party solutions which integrate with the Dropbox desktop app and make it possible to sync any folder (not just the "Documents" folder) with Dropbox across devices, like Boxifier. That is on Windows only, I don't know if they have a Mac version yet. My experience with it is on Windows.

Hope this helps.

Andrew (DBoxTips)

Catalina1
Helpful | Level 5

Same here.

Columbusboo1
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @DBoxTips, thank you for the response! I looked into Boxifier and it seems like it should be a good solution if I end up not leaving Dropbox. It is very upsetting having to pay even more to another service to get back this functionality. I have been very happy with Dropbox up to this point because of how well the syncing worked. I can't believe that they would just remove this functionality and it has me looking to move to a different solution.

umbertotrivella
New member | Level 2

Hi all,

I could not agree more with what you have posted above, the new Dropbox Backup is simply useless to me and has now made Dropbox much less useful. The whole point of Dropbox Backup was to be able to access one's files from any device anywhere. Accessing them only on the web becomes cumbersome and un-userfriendly.

I am upset and outraged that DB would unilaterally decide to take a decision like this and remove a crucial functionality just like that!

cngzymn
New member | Level 2

When I first started using Dropbox, I could see my Desktop, Documents and Downloads files in my Dropbox web and mobile application. In this way, I could add an attachment to an e-mail in my mobile applications or save the report in the finance application to my desktop.

You changed this process to Backup Solution.  I want to sync my Dektop, Documents, and Downloads folders as in the beginning. You are the one who transformed this into Backup and without any approval or information from me. This process should have been optional. Some users like me might want to continue as it is, have you ever thought about that?

Currently, I need to create my Desktop, Documents and Download folders in Dropbox, move all the contents to these folders and leave a file shortcut in their original place, but this is not a solution, I drag and drop each file I downloaded from the internet or saved from an e-mail attachment to the Desktop or Downloads folder at the original address. I need to remember the file and copy it into the shortcut so that it can be synced. I have to do this because when I say save a file to dropbox on my mobile phone, my desktop etc. folders used as backup are not included in the folder list that opens. (I used to see)

And I used to be able to share a folder on my desktop with other people. Now, due to the backup feature, I can no longer share these folders. I need to replace these too.

This situation is ridiculous. I want to use the Backup feature as before, but I don't want it. All I want is to be able to sync the folders I choose, such as Desktop, Documents and Downloads, in Dropbox without the need for any shortcuts.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cngzymn New member | Level 2
    umbertotrivella New member | Level 2
    Columbusboo1 Helpful | Level 5
    Catalina1 Helpful | Level 5
    DBoxTips Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?