cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Sync Files after enabling, Dropbox Backup

Unable to Sync Files after enabling, Dropbox Backup

lrhoear
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I used Dropbox to sync my files across multiple devices. A couple of days ago, I got a prompt to backup my files through dropbox backup and I clicked "yes." It converted all of my synced files to be files that were backed up instead. When I realized my error, I tried to reverse it, but now the only option when I right click files on my computer is "Back up to Dropbox..." I no longer have the option to "Sync to Dropbox." When I try to drag files into dropbox, it either creates a shortcut or moves the files from my computer to dropbox. How do I get my files to sync again?

I tried multiple things including deleting my original dropbox account and creating a new one. Even with a new account, there is no option to sync my files.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ravip
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I had this same issue. Messed up my sync on all my root folders that was syncing perfectly before. Its frustrating. I talked to customer support and all they could say is there is no way to revert back due to opting into the new Backups feature. Even if I tried to delete and reinstall Dropbox from scratch.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Ravip
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I had this same issue. Messed up my sync on all my root folders that was syncing perfectly before. Its frustrating. I talked to customer support and all they could say is there is no way to revert back due to opting into the new Backups feature. Even if I tried to delete and reinstall Dropbox from scratch.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @lrhoear, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The Dropbox Backup feature is a separate feature with the normal Dropbox service, so it should still be possible to sync files in the Dropbox folder. 

Please could you clarify what happens after you deleted your original account and installed the Dropbox desktop application?

@Ravip, you can delete the Dropbox Backup on your account if you wish by following these steps.

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

lrhoear
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It acts in the same way I described above after I deleted my account and signed up again. There is no option when I right-click to sync a file or folder to dropbox, only an option to backup. Before I deleted my account, I deleted my backup. That was the first thing I did. Then I tried to save my synced files from dropbox trash, but it only recovered some and they were no longer synced to my original computer. Luckily, they had not been deleted from my original computer. But syncing my files was literally the only thing I used dropbox for, and dropbox is useless to me if I can't use it. I have been extremely disappointed with the level of customer service and the inadequacy of the help center.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Are you not able to drag the file or folder directly into your Dropbox folder instead of using the right click option?

Are you using a Mac or Windows device?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

lrhoear
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I use windows. When I drag my documents folder into my dropbox in the file explorer, it creates a shortcut, probably because my documents folder is too large for my 2GB dropbox account. When I drag a folder within my documents folder into my dropbox, it copies the folder and files into dropbox. It does not sync them to my original files on my computer. When my sync was working, my documents folder on my computer had a green check mark on it, and if I updated anything on a different computer, it updated it on my original computer. Now, when I drag a folder or file into my dropbox folder, it has a green checkmark in the dropbox folder, but if I change it elsewhere, it does not update the original file on my original computer. This is the functionality that is now missing and that I need.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

In general, this feature is only available with the Dropbox Backup feature. It isn't possible to drag any folder into the Dropbox folder, and then edit the file outside the Dropbox folder.

You shouldn't be able to drag the Documents folder into the Dropbox folder, since it's a system folder. 

What happens when you attempt to enable the Dropbox Backup feature using these steps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

lrhoear
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I don't want a dropbox backup. What I liked about how the sync was set up was that I could access all my files on my work computer, edit them, save new files, and then when I went back to my home computer all those changes were synced to my documents folder on my home computer. Dropbox received updates from any computer and pushed out updates to all computers. I don't need files that exist solely in the cloud and that only update from one computer.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the info. It wouldn't be possible to do what you're asking with the Dropbox desktop application. 

If it worked that way previously, then it would be due to an unsupported method.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    lrhoear Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?