cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share a link with the non-default setting of View/Edit

Share a link with the non-default setting of View/Edit

Chris - AL
New member | Level 2

Something recently has changed with the UI for sharing links on the browser version. It now no longer first brings up the dialogue window (see image below) that shows the option to change the link to one that is set to view/edit (whatever is not the default, the default starts on edit but I've changed it to view). 

share issue.png

The only way I've found to access this original dialogue menu to be able to change between edit/view is to click settings or manage (depending on which share button I pressed), this opens a new dialogue menu, go to the tab with the share type I want, change a setting, change the same setting back, then click save, and then finally the original dialogue that allows you to actually select which type of share will appear again. This doesn't always work, either.

Why was this changed, and why is this option so ridiculously hidden now?

2 Replies 2

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Chris - AL - thanks for posting on our Community and  sharing your feedback on this.

It's been noted in our system and you can let us know if you have anything else to add.

Just to make sure we got this right, could you clarify if this happens with existing shared links or newly created links too? 

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Chris - AL
New member | Level 2

It doesn't matter if it's a new link or not.

Exact steps to access the menu I want are: 

1. Open folder I want to share
  2. Click 'share folder' button (or share with Dropbox from the drop menu)
  3. Select copy link and then manage (if you access this dialogue directly via 'settings' instead of copy link, it will fail on the last step)
  4. Select tab for the non-default link type (in my case, Link for editing)
  5. Toggle the expiry setting on, then off
  6. Click save
  7. Now the original dialogue will appear and I can choose in the drop down menu to change the link type and generate or copy either link type (between links that allow only viewing or allow editing the folder). 

This is an incredibly convoluted process that used to take maybe three clicks. You've essentially added two entirely superfluous dialogues and a bug.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Chris - AL New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?