cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No search box for a shared file?

No search box for a shared file?

Dennis H.9
New member | Level 1

When I share a file with someone - and they follow the emailed link, they do not have a way of search that file. There is not search option like there is when I go to the files in my dropbox.

Am I missing something?

21 Replies 21

Anne C.18
New member | Level 1

Ed, this isn't an issue, the feature Dennis is talking about straight up doesn't exist. Dropbox really needs to add a search bar/box to their shared folder links.

Tom E.8
New member | Level 1

Agreed, this needs to be added!!

Christian A.12
New member | Level 1

After googling this i ended up here and I totally agree. This feature absolutely needs to be implemented!

Anne C.18
New member | Level 1

Any update on this Ed?

Ed
Dropbox Staff

I think there are two different things being asked here:

1 - Ability to search within file from the preview (assuming you're clicking on the link and viewing a text file on web?)

You can use the browser search for that. Otherwise you can open the original file (not the preview) and do a search within its specified software (Adobe, Ms Word, etc).

2 - Ability to search for files within a folder. In this case, if you're using the desktop client (www.dropbox.com/downloading) you should be able to use your system Finder/Explorer to perform the search within that folder. This isn't native from Dropbox.

Let me know if I'm missing something here. 

Thanks

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Tom E.8
New member | Level 1

Hi Ed,

thanks for your reply. I think it's better to explain this with an image! In my case we use Dropbox as an image bank for our customers, and would very much have them being able to search this directory.

Best,

Tom

Ed
Dropbox Staff

Hi Tom

So you're sending them a link to multiple folders where they're opening up on web not being logged in and the desired outcome is for them to be able to search within these folders. Is that correct?

This is very specific and you're correct such functionality is not available as it is, but there are other ways to achieve that. 

If you share these folders, they will be able to search within it once they're logged in. If they use the desktop client, they'll also be able to search from their folder structure in their device. If you just want them to download the folders, they'll be able to do the same, but then the files won't be updated automatically as they're saving copies of it. 

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Tom E.8
New member | Level 1

Hi Ed,

yes, exactly. I believe that's what everyone here's requesting, but I could be wrong.

Actually, it does not help if you're logged in either, see image (I have removed most of the name, but I'm logged in on another account than the owner of the folder, and accessing it via a shared link).

Thanks,

Tom

Christian A.12
New member | Level 1

My case is similar to Toms.

I have a folder in my dropbox which contains a long list of other folders container alot of images that are named with a specific number. I need my customers to be able to search for that number in the root of the shared folder but that isn't possible even if i send it to someone that is logged in so i am not sure that the info is correct ("If you share these folders, they will be able to search within it once they're logged in.")

This makes me a bit confused, I have already tested this with some colleagues of mine.

Would be nice with a solution for this.

/Christian

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Anne C.18 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?