cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't access my backup files, after Dropbox sent me a backup link

I can't access my backup files, after Dropbox sent me a backup link

Lorraine66
Helpful | Level 6

Since clicking on the file backup link that Dropbox sent me today, Dropbox is not featuring any of the files that I have on my PC. I use my Dropbox account on my PC, my iphone and my ipad. This one account allows me to see all my PC files across all my devices. But since clicking on the backup link DB sent me, there are none of my PC files appearing in my Dropbox account either on the web portal, nor on my files area of my PC or on the app on my iphone and ipad. This means I cannot get access to any important files while away from my PC until I can restore them to Dropbox. Very urgent! I am lost without my files and cannot work! Really hoping some clever person can help me please!

41 Replies 41

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting this on our forum, @Lorraine66

If possible, can you send me a screenshot of the link Dropbox sent you regarding your backup? Was it a prompt to update Dropbox Backup to the latest version perhaps? 

If yes, please note that with the updated Dropbox Backup feature, backups from other devices will only be accessible from the web.

However, since you mentioned you can’t even see your files on your web account, I’d like you to send me a screenshot of what appears here on your Backups page online. 

Ping me, when you’re ready.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lorraine66
Helpful | Level 6
Thank you Nancy. I have clicked on your link to the backup page and I can see the files there but they are not appearing on my dropbox when I go into it either on my PC nor on my iPhone or iPad. Is there a way to get them back? I don’t know what dropbox backup is and I wish I had never clicked on the link. I would rather just go back to my original dropbox and have all my files restored if possible please

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Lorraine66, you should be able able to locate your content locally on your PC, in their original paths. 

And on your iPhone/iPad, the files should be visible when visiting your Backup page. 

As for the Backup feature, you can disable it using these steps. Can you give it a go? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Lorraine66
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you Megan, I have tried this but it doesn't work. This is because the instructions say to select the backup you'd like to delete, but the problem is that the file I am looking for cannot be selected because it has disappeared from my Dropbox.

I reall need to restore my dropbox function to what it was before I inadvertently enabled the optional backup feature on my PC.
To clarify, I had previously had a folder on my PC called Dropbox/PC. In that file I created all my documents and saved them and this meant that all my docs were automatically backed up to the cloud and were also accessible via my DropBox app on my iphone and ipad. But since clicking on the link to enable the backup, this file has disappeared, meaning that docs I create on my PC do not feature on Dropbox automatically and nor can I access them on my DB app on the phone and ipad. So I would like to restore my Dropbox this but I don't know how to. Please would you help - I have been trying to sort this out all day and I am at a loss. I pay for Dropbox in an annual subscription but my DB account looks to have reverted to the free account I had before I started paying the subscription. In other words, there is no file on my PC any longer called 'Dropbox/PC' and so I cannot used DB to create and amend docs.

Lorraine66
Helpful | Level 6

The chatbot says:
'When you store your files to Dropbox, your files are synced across your devices and accessible in real time. With Dropbox Backup, your folders and files from your computer or external hard drives are automatically backed up to the cloud and you can quickly recover your content if something goes wrong.'
This means that I have inadvertently converted to DB backup. But I don't want that - I want my straight DB account back, where all my PC files automatically sync across all my devices in real time.
~How can I convert back?

Lorraine66
Helpful | Level 6

I am really at my wits' end: I have gone through every Q&A I can think of. I currently pay monthly for my backup plan, but this has completely stopped working - none of my PC files are appearing in DB nor syncing across my devices. Should I perhaps cancel my DB account and start again with a new account? I cannot think of anything other way to get Drop Box back working properly?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Lorraine66, allow me to jump in here, to provide some clarifications.

After carefully reading through this thread, I understand the following:

Dropbox Backup is a feature that allows you to backup your PC folders to Dropbox and you had already enabled this feature on your computer; that's how you were able to access your PC folders through Dropbox.

However, until now, you were using the older version of Backup, which allowed you to access the PC folders directly from within your Dropbox folder, your "all files" page on dropbox.com and the Dropbox mobile app on your mobile devices.

Now, it sounds like you were prompted to update to the new Backup experience.

With the new version of Backup, you'll still be able to access your PC folders from your computer, but the folders should be back to their original locations on your PC (not inside the Dropbox folder).

If you check the Backups tab in your Dropbox desktop app preferences, your folders should appear selected for backup, so they're still being backed up.

You should be able to access your backup files from your backups page here; can you check and let me know if that's the case?

Here's some more info about the new version of Backup for your information.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Lorraine66
Helpful | Level 6
Thank you, Hannah.

I have clicked on the back ups page link that you’ve given me and I can see my files there.

Thank goodness.

However, can I check please: does this mean that I can just work on the documents that I’ve saved to my computer and they will automatically update in the dropbox backup?

And one more thing: it seems that with this new version, I can no longer easily access my backed up files on my iPhone or iPad because the dropbox app does not allow this? The old version was useful because I could just go into the app on my iPhone when away from my computer and I could see immediately the files and documents I had been working on.

But with this new version is that option now disabled? If so, how do I get access to my files from my iPhone and iPad? Do I need to log into the Web portal and locate my backed up files that way? (If so, I may as well delete the apps on iphone and ipad as they are not serving any purpose?)

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I'm glad you were able to locate your backup files on the backups page, Lorraine!

Indeed, if you go through the Dropbox application preferences, in the Backups tab and see that the folders in question are selected to be backed up, any changes you make to the original folders, should reflect in your backups page on dropbox.com.

I'd suggest testing this, to confirm this on your end as well. You can add a test file to one of the folders and then check if you can find it on the backups page.

As for the mobile app, you're right that with the new backup version, the backups won't be accessible there and you'll need to access them from the website.

But the app will continue to contain any other files you've added to your Dropbox, besides your backup files.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

CharlesFVincent Helpful | Level 6
    Lorraine66 Helpful | Level 6
    cbshaffer Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?