cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Problems with an update on Dropbox Backup

Dropbox Backup stuck updating to new version - can't dismiss the update window on macOS

Catalina1
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

I store all of my files in Dropbox, including those on my desktop and downloads. Two days ago, I was prompted with a window from Dropbox, asking me to accept the new Dropbox Backup feature. I accepted the prompt, but then a message appeared charging and blocking access to everything. I tried to quit Dropbox, but that caused my files to stop updating. Moreover, all my files in the Dropbox folder were put together into a new folder named "My files in Dropbox", which was also placed in the Downloads folder!. At that moment, the message disappeared (after quitting Dropbox), but because my files were not updating, I had to "turn on" Dropbox again since I need my files to be continuously updated to access them on other devices. Today, the Dropbox Backup window appeared suddenly again(I did not agree to anything), and I'm not sure how to get rid of it.

Can you please help me?

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 1.46.41 PM.png

13 Replies 13

Catalina1
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, @Hannah 

When I click the icon, it says "Your files are up to date." It also shows recent activity, including some files that appear to have been added and others that have been deleted, which I am not aware of.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Catalina1, since the app is now updated: are you able to see your content both online, and on other devices? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Catalina1
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Megan. No, I can’t. I can only see the files inside the Dropbox folder. Since the update, I’m no longer able to view my synced files from other devices (The Documents, Desktop and Download Folders). This new version has essentially ruined the functionality that made Dropbox so useful for me. I now have to log onto the Dropbox website to access my backups, which is really inconvenient and doesn’t make sense.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Catalina1, I'd recommend contacting the support team directly for them to investigate this matter in more detail on their end.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?